Landscape photography is the art of taking photograph of animate and inanimate environment and closely related to nature and architectural photography. The importance of the title of this article Landscape in Digital Photography instead of simple Landscape Photography lies in the fact that, there has been more liberty in Digital Photography.
Landscape in Digital Photography : Importance
Human intervention in the landscape has been taken up as a defining element. From war ravaged world to environmental disasters Landscape in Digital Photography provide ample space for the photographic work.
What is present today on a place, was not resent a decade ago or what is present today will be modified after a decade – this is a big impact for the mankind from various aspects. This makesÂ Landscape in Digital Photography more important as, today a simple mobile phone camera can take a Landscape photograph which 50 years ago needed bigger instruments. A photograph can beÂ geotagged today to keep the proper reference of the geographical coordinates.
Technical aspects of Landscape in Digital Photography
Landscape photographers usually use a tripod set up and therefore the perfect perspective, optimum light and settings can be used.
To achieve optimal sharpness in landscapes, the following parameters are usually followed :
- Using lowest possible ISO setting to reduce noise.
- Shooting in RAW format for lossless images for post processing.
- Lens often have the aperture values of 5.6 to 11.
- A good tripod is useful in poor lighting conditions, it is the most important tool of a landscape photographer.
- Cable release remote control, self-timer and mirror lock reduce the camera shake and should always be used when shooting from a tripod.
- Autofocus interfere in landscapes.
The following filters are often used in landscape photography application:
- Polarizing filters can make blue sky appear more stronger and reduce reflections on water surfaces.
- Gray filters darken a bright sky and reduce the dynamic range of the image. In digital photography, the creation of a high dynamic range image, often specially designed software is used.
- ND filters increase the exposure time, so as the motion blur, especially makes the running water looking dreamy.
- Color filters (red, green, yellow, orange) are used only in black and white photography and can enhance the landscape visually.
Please read the Related Posts links below to demystify some of the terminologies used in this Landscape in Digital Photography article.