SEO and Usability has very difficult relationship. Bloggers often ignore one part; either SEO or usability. Here is the ultimate tips to keep SEO and Usability on together in your blog.
Foreword on SEO and Usability
We wrote many articles on SEO, Traffic generation and told you many times about the importance of great designing of your blog : today all these are equally important for any blog.
Even with all the goodwill in the real world, it is difficult to be well positioned on Google with a crap design, bad usability issues, bad SEO workup.
Rules to be followed to keep SEO and usability together
- Everyone after point grasps the basics of SEO. But with only SEO, today you can not position yourself well in Google search result. The reasons are simple : Google wants simple HTML structure, look Google’s any webpage’s HTML source : its clean. Google judges your blog’s quality with the bounce rate : bad design, bad navigation will increase the bounce rate. No SEO workup can save you.
- The rule of three clicks in on page SEO : Deliver your content, be it a product, a blog page within three clicks from a landing page.
- Page loading time and SEO :
- Get rid off the FaceBook widget. It is an iframe, which is detrimental for on page SEO; if you use FaceBook’s own format, that will give you lot of W3C invalid characters. Its your content, not that box that increases HTML requests and harm on page SEO.
- Optimize things above the fold; reduce the height of header image, instead give a good navigation.
- Left side of your blog is important. Visitors are almost ignorant of the right side. So, create the right side for better on page SEO, left side for content. If you put a good number of well thought out links in right side, most users will not notice it.
- Important information should be in the top left as well as the Keywords. Yes, most SEO experts opines that Google Crawler reads the left side with more importance.
- Spaces : using white space is an art. It increases the readability. Open a top class magazine and notice their layout. They keep a white space at the bottom left corner.
- Add a search function on your site; preferably Google Custom Search. Design of search button is very important.
- Many bloggers optimize the homepage, both the look and SEO, its a matter of fact 75% search engine visitors never clicks too see your homepage.
- Tag cloud has two functions : providing one click access to the users and to help Google to find your writings. So it is an ideal example of SEO and usability together.
- Footer is also a good example where SEO, design and usability are amalgamated together.
Conclusion on SEO and Usability
For WordPress, there are few good platforms those actually works great.
Hire a Page Speed specialist after your designing part is done. Now the pure SEO part remains upon you whether you will hire a SEO specialist or do it yourself.
To make a blog in a standing position, you’ve to either invest money or your excellence and time.