The steady use of information and communication technology becoming increasingly relevant. Nowadays it is important that the information is available to the mobile devices at any time, any place, whether in professional or private life. Computers are becoming smaller and more compact, since the invention of digital watches, towards the thought of carrying a mobile computer on the wrist. This is why many companies have thoughts about how to manufacture computers and watches or bracelets connected together and brought some models on the market. The generic term for these portable computers is wearable computing. Here is basics on Wearable Computing as hardware.
Introduction To Wearable Computing
Wearable computers have already gained an important place in our daily lives. In order to ensure smooth communication to take place between the terminals, standards are necessary, which are used between the devices. This article provides an overview of the current possibilities of communication between the terminals. Moreover, chances and risks of wearable computing are worked out for the future.
The term Wearable Computing, is a collective term for computer systems intended to support the users in their work during use, without the focus to the computer system itself. Miniaturized electronic devices in clothing, eyeglasses or jewelry pieces can enhance the safety of the user and facilitate the users’ work. However, ubiquitous computing enables not only new forms of interest or enforcement of a data breach, but changed the interaction of people with the information technology in principle.
Operating Modes and Features of Wearable Computing
In wearable computing, there are three basic modes and six basic properties :
- Constancy : Compared to a notebook computer, a wearable need not to be only opened and turned on for usage. Communication between user and computer is permanent, because the computer is never turned off.
- Augmentation : The user can, while working with the computer, execute a wide variety of work. The computer is designed to improve the users’ mind and the senses.
- Mediation : The wearable computer can make the user independent. This concept allows a much greater independence than other portable devices such as notebooks. There are two aspects of this independence:
- Solitude : The computer can act as an information filter and influence the perception of our environment. In this way, unwanted advertisements are hidden or specific content presented differently.
- Privacy : The Wearable computers help us in processing the data and information. Since the computer is constantly worn on the body, there is a much lower probability of an attack; i.e. theft of the device itself. A smartphone, on other hand, could be easily stolen.
The following six characteristics make a wearable computer :
- Un-monopolizing : The user during use of wearables can carry on the other activities and is not cut off from the real world, such as in a virtual reality game. This set has improved with sensor capabilities.
- Un-restrictiveness : The user is hindered in the exercise of functions and can for example write a message while he/she jogs. The Wearable purports to be an extension and improvement of the user skills.
- Observable : The computer can ever be perceived by the user and should always and everywhere available to the user everywhere.
- Controllable : The user can at any time take control of the computer and use it. It not must to be removed from the pocket compared to the smartphone to operate it.
- Attentiveness : Since the computer is always on, it can analyze the environment through its sensors and enable the user to optimally behave appropriate to the situation. He can, for example, when entering the movie hall in the evening, turn on the light.
- Communicativeness : The computer can be used as a means of communication or a communication aid.