Branding is a very important factor on the web to differentiate yourself from others, to demonstrate your professional side. Favicon also carries a mark for the SEO too.
What is a favicon?
A favicon is simply a small picture that appears next to the site’s address, also in the tabs, favorites, bookmarks etc. The advantage is that you can immediately recognize the site in question without reading the title of the site.
Creating and installing the favicon
- First begin by creating an image of 16 pixels x 16 pixels in any image editing software;
- Export it to ICO format;
- Upload your file to your webhost via FileZilla or your favorite FTP software;
- Log in to your WordPress administration;
- Click on Appearance then click Editor;
- Via the right sidebar, click on the link header;
- Add this line of code between the tags <head> and </head>, and enter the address of your image:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="url here" type="image/x-icon" />
Click Update File; Open the home page of your site and see the result.
If your software does not support ICO
- Save your image in one of the following formats: JPG, PNG, GIF or BMP;
- Search on Google with “free online favicon creator converter” (or similar to it). There are many free online services, check yourself which one suits your need.
- Upload your saved image and immediately get the converted file.