This question often arises: how to be better placed in search results on Google? The answer is simple: either pay or work hard!
Being in the top positions is the key to the success of your web site: the majority of users only visit the first five sites listed by Google. Only 20% pass on the second page, and almost none of them visit the third page; sufficient to say if you do not appear in the top 5 results for a keyword, it means you do not exist.
In addition, Google currently representing nearly 75% of searches on the Internet; there will be YouTube results, Adword catches, Wikipedia result. That limits your visitors click more.
The simplest (and most expensive) way is simply to pay the advertising links from Google (Google Adwords). For cons, the cost of acquiring a dizzying prospect then increases if (s) word (s) keys are subject to very strong competition. There is always a danger that your competitors might click purposefully, even pay employees to sink you (if you are a big brand with lot of money, definitely you are not reading this article, right?)
Here is an example for the keyword “Dating”, budgeted for in the first results can cost up to $400 / day at a cost of $2 per click.
The alternative (which is complementary to the first) is to adapt the site to Google’s algorithm so that it appears “naturally” in the top results from Google (this is why we do the Search Engine Optimization).
For this, we must optimize its domain name, its key words contained in its pages and have lots of links to its site.
However, it takes a lot of work, and can be challenged every day. Even one click and behavior of a visitor can change the ranking.
According to one of the site referencing SEO and the most famous in the world, has organized a survey of professionals and here are the essential elements that influence the positioning of a web page:
- The domain (name, keywords, length etc). We discussed about domain name in another article ago and here how to choose a domain name.
- The number and especially the quality of links from other sites pointing to yours. This link strategy was discussed in a previous article too.
- The names in links from other sites to yours.
- The keywords in your webpages. You can read this article about keyword strategy if you already have not.
We are very skeptical about this poll that gives too large a share links, without taking into account all the technical optimization of a site (URL, name pictures, site structure itself, having a Sitemap ).
Here are some basic marketing advice, if you only have 2 minutes you can read it:
- Play a pub on Google adwords and Yahoo, it helps to know Google that a site is just to start (Note: just spend a few Dollars, then stop).
- Write press releases.
- Post in forums and leave your signature (Yahoo Question & Answer is good strategy).
- Do link exchanges with sites that have a theme similar to yours.
- Publish articles and suggest other sites to publish.
- Make a SEO in the main drivers, and reference you in a few quality directories (it is useless to all directories, most are “link farms” which are created automatically).
- Do not use the free seo software, Google does not like that!
- Treat the keywords of your site (titles, meta tags, file names and images).
To illustrate in practical ways how to reference your site, here is a summary of actions carried out on a site I created to respond the needs of entrepreneurs need.
To us, this counts for about 25% of your ranking in search engines.
It is therefore essential that you choose the domain name. For example,Daily Medico, we knew from the outset that our goal would be well positioned on the keywords “Medico”.
For this site it was harder, because if we knew we wanted to attract Windows 7 tips needing people and computer in general and SEO tips, our problem was that most domains with those keywords are already taken. So we decided to take the words that we considered most suitable, imagining what entrepreneurs could tap into Google.
If our choice proved good enough, we should have used Google tools that let you see the relevance of the keywords entered, the search volume in the engine and above the competition with this term. Previously, there was a tool to calculate the popularity of a keyword. Now, there are Google Trends and Google Insight to see the popularity of keywords, see which are the most sought against each other.
For example, here the result for the keywords “Enterprise” (NB: in theory google ignores accents in the keywords)
To learn more about the relevance of keywords, you can also use Google Trends , which lets you see the seasonal search for a keyword (in this creation business):
We can see that “creation enterprise” is much sought after as “creative business” but that the struggle for this keyword is much lower. So when you decide to name your site, be careful to choose a name that is much sought after and competition is too fierce.
To complete your research, you can also use the analytical tools of keywords which indicates the feasibility of being No. 1 for a keyword.
- You can search with the exact phrase, broadly; then to see which keywords to buy on Google. But beware! Google does not rank domain names with more than 3 keywords or more hyphens (eg Google do not to follow: www . The-Customize-Windows-Tutorial-World .com)
- For the domain name, you can try names with hyphens (eg: Customize-Windows . com), this gives you good positioning in search engines, but it is not easy to give to its customers. So eventually buy more domain names to redirect to the same site (NB: Google gives priority to local domain names too, but in that country. dot com will be better placed globally).
- In the search for your keywords in your Adwords advertising campaign, please buy keywords due to typing errors (eg “cutomize windows”; these tags are inexpensive and can pay big dividends !).
- When creating your site, it remains in the “sandbox” in Google a few months before it is properly positioned (probation). To accelerate its entry on google (but unfortunately not its position) you should just do a little advertising on Google Adwords (NB: you pay a few dollars with clicks; register and have no clicking is not enough ).
- To avoid being trapped too long in the Google sandbox, we recommend you buy the faster your domain name, then refer them to a blog where you begin to put some content related to your future site. Once your site is grown “Pro”, redirect the URL to the new site and Google will know about you that it existed.
Again the keywords on your site is essential to your position. We think once again their importance is around 25% in positioning on Google. Therefore, you should definitely should not repeated as often as possible, repeat but respecting normal writing, because Google can detect misuse!
For example, for this site if we add “Customize Windows” in a paragraph “Customize Windows 7” in italics so that the search could take it into account and that the density of these keywords is sufficient. But, if we add this word as keyword for this article, it would be a moron’s work. Google will throw it to trash can after few days.
To make your SEO is the most effective, you must define specific keywords for each page (3 or 4) by only your main keywords in the text.
Be careful not to not mention it too often, otherwise you may be blacklisted by Google if these keywords appear too frequently (this calculation is performed using the density of the keyword, for example if your keyword appears 5 times in a 100 words of text, the keyword density is 5%). Generally, we recommend a density for a keyword of 5 to 10%, greater than 15% …
The result of certain keyword in Yahoo shows that those keywords (bold) are recognized by the search engine, and repetition (those words are identified by 9 times), which allows us to appear in 3rd position on the search engine.
To improve the ranking of a page, we treat many titles of my articles and paragraphs in making sure they match what would type in an Internet search engine. For example, this article “Create a Google friendly website” we could have called “SEO on the Internet”. People will probably type “How to create a Google friendly website” or something like that.
In fact, one should realize that placing keywords in the text and Titles in fact is primarily to make readers interested, which they will access via the search engine. It is indeed, the title and short description of the page that appears on search engines that will convince them to click or not. Then, you have less than 10 seconds to convince visitors that they have clicked on a page of interest, failing which they will go elsewhere.
In the same vein, you must name the titles of the pages on your website with keywords that will be analyzed by Google (+ keywords meta tags). For the names of files, images, the same principle, even better because there are image searches by keywords (Google) and for the name of your images, you gain more traffic . This remark is also valid for the names of HTML files on your site.
In practice, here is what to optimize:
- Tag Title: it must state the title of the page, it must be different on every page with different keywords on the actual content of the page (and synonyms). We must of course put the essential keywords first.
- Keywords and Description Meta Tag: they describe your keywords and site description. A priority, Keywords no longer taken into account too by google, but hey, better to fill it anyway!
- The ??name of the HTML file: put the real name and not a summary.
- The content of the site: the frequency of updating the site, the completion time of the page (page loading time), the number of pages updated since the last time … are all criteria that you will be better placed.
- To improve the recognition of your keywords, we must highlight: Bold (B), Italic (i), list (li), underline (u), title (H1, H2, H3…); For example, my site, the terms are always in H3 / H4 or Bold.
- The external links (a href link) and the name of the term to click are also taken into account (ie, instead of only link to “Click HERE” do more “Click HERE to receive the free book” …).
- Fill in as much information for your images, the names of images, messages alternate (ALT).
- The contents of external links is also taken into account (so do external links related to the topic of your site).
Note on the keywords:
- Give attention to the order (the top is important than footer), font size should be neither too long nor too short not to dilute your keywords. We need to vary the keywords and use synonyms to terms with “s” and no “s” ….
- In the name of your title tag, it is important to put first the keywords most important. Also keep it short, and do not append after a series of keywords (40 to 70 characters max).
- Please do not be redundant between the TITLE and the TITLE meta, use different keywords.
In short: you must write your site for the user and not for Google (and therefore, avoid putting more than 10% of occurrence of your keyword).
Example of optimization of a link:
Look links to other articles within this article! They are close to perfect.
In summary: know that Google looks anything else in your site, and therefore you must ensure that all allow you to “steer” on the content of your site.
- Repeat on the footer of your site and all pages, submitting your site with maximum keywords.
- Vary the keywords: for example, the title of my articles exchange between the main title, a secondary and what is marked in the navigation bar.
- Note that Google and Yahoo do not spend all day on your site, so remember to regularly update the content. Plus you update your site, they will be visited regularly.
- If you do not have time to do the content, ask the sites that specialize in your field if you can replicate some of their content (with backlink, of course) to enrich your site. Another solution is to take such videos from YouTube and put them on your site. Avoid being a content farm.
- Note on Page Rank: This index is intended to indicate the popularity of your website (from 1 to 10) but in principle it has little influence on your ranking. We wrote two articles ago.
- If possible, avoid iframes (even though they are increasingly taken into account), and prefer style sheets (CCS) with tables (TB, TD …). It is the same for Flash, which is not yet recognized by Google nicely.
- Make a plan of your site to “explain” how to help Google to visit your entire site. Also, create a Google Sitemap to help further analyze your internal site.
- To identify which keywords to use, take a tour of your competitors (who are well placed) into Google and look at the keywords they use in their meta tags and title (View Menu, then View Source in Firefox or IE).
- Check your usability through the site.
Optimize your keywords taking into account the through the article in the Journal on the net .
Links to your site (or backlinks)
External links to your site have a lot, personally we think the impact on your ranking at 30% (especially for engines such as Yahoo).
The principle is based search engines is simple: if a site is a link to yours is that it is more interesting … and it is popular (many links), it is more interesting ! So you have more links to your site, you will be better positioned.
In theory it should therefore be referenced in a maximum directory links, search engines to improve its position.
The practice is somewhat different: there are many directories that are actually “link farms”. These are directories that are automatically generated automatically by software (they are easily recognized, they have almost all the same methods of registration, the same categories).