What is a troll?
A troll on the Internet has nothing to do with the image that immediately comes to mind, but is a conversation whose sole purpose is to create a controversy. The author wants to establish an atmosphere that can go wrong.
It is found on the forums, chats and finally all the places where people can communicate.
The problem is that the conversation turns in circles and often ends badly. It is better to avoid creating this kind of conflict . Encyclopedia Dramatica is a well known troll-site.
“Do not Feed the Troll” is often used to say in this situation it is better to ignore to avoid inflaming the situation. Many companies uses troll to get attention for the sole purpose of increase the net-sell of their product.
Very well known trolls
- Linux / Windows is better than Windows / Linux.
- Firefox / IE is better than IE / Firefox.
- Thunderbird / Outlook is better than Outlook / Thunderbird (Obsulute now).
- MS Office / OpenOffice is better than OpenOffice / MS Office.
- PS3 / Xbox is better than PS3 / Xbox.
- PC / Mac is better than Mac / PC.
- WiFi / Ethernet is better than Ethernet / WiFi.
- Kerio / ZoneAlarm is better than ZoneAlarm / Kerio.
It may be noted that most of the time it is a fight between a free software and a paid software or a costly solution and a cheap solution.
And yes, a troll is finally a virtual mini-war to defend his idea on what is best and especially the fact of wanting the other shares the same opinion.
- A troll is a discussion that goes wrong because a subject of controversy.
- One of the best known is probably now the opposition between Windows and Linux.
- The best thing to do is close the topic if possible or not to join in the conversation.