As we have said ago, on page optimization (as a part of on site SEO) has probably the biggest role in Search Engine Ranking. Interesting and information rich content is not only attractive to users but also important for the search engines.
Points to optimize the text of your blog
- Many people starts the blog and seeks for different SEO plugins those offers huge increase in traffic. Some of those plugins can change the title, descriptions (or suggests so to do) to increase keyword density. Definitely, around 4% keyword density is good thing for a post, but do not forget, you are writing for human; not search engines. Make the titles, meta descriptions a human readable and interesting. Visitors from Google will thus pick your result over others.
- As said above, keep the keyword within 4-5% of the full text. It is not that, you will push the keywords to optimize the text part, try to keep around that. It is not possible to keep keywords to 4% for downloads or Tutorials, that makes the text feel “robotic” or spammy. Does not matter that much in all types of posts.
- Do not write something just because you need to post.
- Google gives priority to the quality of content.
- Write your content in well structured way.
- Do not use too much technical terms, blogs are for all people, not everyone will understand the meanings.
- Do not write under time pressure.
- Blogging can not be amateurish. It must need a professional idea behind. Do not use funky looking fonts for your posts.
- In order to optimize the text of a blog post, keep a clear introduction, at least one subheader, use bullets in the body of the post, write a conclusion when it is necessary.
- Try to write the excerpt manually. It is better if you can write the meta description and the excerpt differently, in order to optimize the post. Google looks these small things very intelligently.
- Italicize, bold or underline only few times for the intended or targeted keywords to optimize the text of the post. Do not over do it.
- Having a nice image or illustration with nice alt returns the value of your effort.
- Try to use Yahoo Smush it service to optimize the images.
- h2, h3 tags has great importance in on page SEO. So, to optimize the text of the post, use them judiciously.
Other points to consider to optimize the text
These are “better to have” points. They are not practical for all posts.
- The Flesch/Flesch“Kincaid readability tests are designed to indicate comprehension difficulty when reading a passage of contemporary academic English. There are two tests, the Flesch Reading Ease, and the Flesch“Kincaid Grade Level. You might be interested to know about them in details from Wikipedia.
- Gunning fog index measures the readability of English writing. Probably Google uses both of these systems to understand the level of user from the used keywords in Google search and places the result accordingly.
Gunning Fox index can be low for professionally targeted blogs, like our DailyMedico or a blog on Laws, but must be within acceptable level for general blogs in order to optimize the text.
If you keep eye on these points to optimize the text of your blog, especially WordPress based; I can definitely say, you will get better positioning. Most new bloggers are not aware of the readability scales. This is the weak point you can took an advantage over, definitely.