Just few days ago, we got an email from a regular visitor asking about what should be the ideal word count for a perfect blog post. We replied in short there; ” it depends and we will write more later in details” . This is the introduction how the idea came to write this post on whether a long post or a short blog post works better for getting better search engine positioning.
How long should a blog post?
This is difficult to explain in two three lines that yes, this word count of a post works the best. We must emphasize that, most SEO experts says that, a post of at least 300 words works great.
If you search with different keywords; you will notice, many blog post come in the number one position in Google search result page with very less word count. Then why this bias is happening? Read ahead.
Important points on word count of a blog post
- The main advantage of a longer post is that, it stands out from the three-liner-bloggers.
- Too many big posts (like that of 1000 words plus) makes the blog dead.
- The subject of your blog determines the perfect word count of your blog post. There are shallow topics those can be served with three liners. Other type of posts, for example this; requires an accurate and detailed discussion of the topic.
- The Keyword density in a post is a big factor. It should be within 4-5%.
- Too many short posts can also be harmful too, even with good keyword density
- Google loves text and thus longer posts might have a good effect for long run
- Very long and detailed posts may have many back links and are popular on social sites
- The long posts should also be well structured with sub headings; bullets etc.
- One should really look at the statistics of their own blog for the right combination; as we have ago said to monitor your blog through google Analytics
- Do not overdo to make a post longer for downloads, Google thinks its uncanny and puts after the 1oth result.
Conclusion about word count of a post
We personally think, it is better to make a post at least of 200 words if not more; exception is the downloads or tutorials. On Page and off Site SEO can push a post with small number of wordings.
Follow the Author of this article :