Predictions from the virtualization experts are being met in this year. In 2008 most Virtualization experts agreed on the fact that the year 2011 would be the year to deploy the virtualization technology in widely.
This expansion of Virtualization technology has been driven by the business moves that have taken place between companies dedicated to virtualization. For example, what once was a virtualization system created in a university setting and has expanded its GPL license and is now spreading like wildfire because it has been bought by a company, recently bought by Citrix XEN.
VMWare Moreover, another virtualization leader, has teamed up with HP to produce exclusive systems to process instructions from VMWare. And of course, Microsoft is not going to stand idly in Virtualization arena, they have signed agreements and agreements to include a good virtualization solution in its new Windows Server 2008. We will see that is happening in the market around virtualization.
Virtualization for the Enterprise
Open Source solutions has imposed the great expansion that is occurring in the field of Virtualization. Of course it is much more efficient in virtualizing a physical server to stay several Linux virtual machines which function as mail servers, databases, firewalls. Managing a virtualized server is much more efficient, much easier, much cheaper since instead of having multiple physical servers with more power consumption – we have a single server where Virtualization technology is used.
The decision to use or deploy Virtualization by a company is complicated, we must develop a comprehensive study if Virtualization is what really what the company needs, whether it really going to be more efficient.
Key notes for deploying Virtualization
Here are some key points on Virtualization at the Enterprise level:
- Quantify the savings that the project will save if Virtualization is used. No one can determine the success of a project without knowing what is going to win, but do not make complex or highly subjective metric, the calculation of the rate of return on investment should be simple and objective.
- The project should involve a substantial amount virtualization of servers. The value of this technology is in the volume. Develop a list of candidates to virtualize servers, and ensure that sufficient resources are contemplating to deploy Virtualization.
- Ensure that the administrators join the Virtualization project and did not feel like guinea pigs. Work to convince them to tell the benefits of sharing resources in Virtualization which are underutilized otherwise.
- Develop a process integration plan with a monitoring strategy showing the results or progress throughout the process.
- Reevaluate the hardware requirements for Virtualization. The load times on virtualization of resources that contain the servers. Make any necessary adjustments before generating a crisis.
- List the resources to be changed to suit the new technology. Virtualization impacts on other areas such as storage, backup and energizing.
This is a guest post, the article has been written by Mark K. Kelly.