There is no exact definition of the “cyberpunk” word. This is a direction in artistic creativity that actively absorbs elements and symbols of the computer subculture (“cyber-”), adding components of anti-aesthetics and social protest (“-punk”) to them.
This subgenre of science fiction is open to all creative individuals who love unconventional approaches and the rejection of conventions. It is a rich source of inspiration for graphic designers, photographers and many other cultural figures.
Prefer to reject standards, stereotypes? Then cyberpunk is just for you! You can create whatever you want.
|Table of Contents|
What is Meant by this Word
Cyberpunk design became mega-popular in the 1980s. The term was born in 83th in the story “Cyberpunk” by writer Bruce Bethke. Then the genre began to be used in world-famous films: “Blade Runner”, “The Matrix” and the anime “Akira”.
Fashion and Cyberpunk
Futuristic designs such as the leather coat, now so famous that they are no longer surprising, appeared just after the acclaimed cyberpunk films.
How Cyberpunk is Used by Graphic Designers in Their Work
The genre ceased to be fashionable and relevant at the beginning of the 21st century in design. It was considered a holdover and was generally shunned by graphic designers. However, this genre has regained its popularity since 2020, also thanks to the covid pandemic, when world technologies were able to defeat the spreading virus. At the same time, graphic designers again turned to cyberpunk, which recognizes the intelligence of technological machines. On https://africa-images.com/ you can look for examples of photos and images, suitable for cyberpunk inspiration.
It may seem that cyberpunk is too dark and harsh for modern designers. But that’s not the case at all. Or rather, partly. After all, it is not necessary to follow this path under a carbon copy. You can take the style of cyberpunk as a starting point, but move in your own direction. Do you understand? The point is to go against modern design conventions. And digital typography, bright layouts and rather non-standard color palettes for today will help you with this.
Examples of Recent Cyberpunk Projects
Michael Klansen uses already familiar cyberpunk images. The modern designer raises such important topics as empathy and social justice, which are also relevant in the actual world of technology.
In the 2020s, color combinations are still relevant, which appeared as a result of inspiration from cyberpunk storylines. In short, the main one is, of course, the neon palette. Red and blue are considered characteristic of a severe kaleidoscope. Accents can be done with acidic shades of green and yellow. This is if we are talking about the classics. But remember that it is not necessary to follow the template path. You can deviate from classic designs.
Just for digital design and fashion, this subgenre of science fiction fits perfectly due to the fact that it allows a departure from conventions.
Cyberpunk in Photography: What Need to Know
Do you want to make a custom photo shoot? Just photos in cyberpunk style immediately stand out from the large mass of glamorous shots.
Usually cyberpunk filming has a pronounced revolutionary idea, for example, the confrontation between individuality and the general mass. Each picture is a kind of challenge to the modern world of information technology and technique. We will tell you what points you should pay attention to in order to create the right entourage.
- Composition features. The synthesis of urban and portrait photography is the best way to create a cyberpunk mood. Do not be afraid of non-standard solutions. Try to look at futuristic architecture and creative interiors.
- Proper lighting helps create an atmosphere. A neon light photo shoot is a great option for cyberpunk. The best time for a photoset would be evening or night. It is worth using mirrors and additional light if portrait shots are planned. You can specifically focus on the surrealism of the picture. Just give the mirror in the hands of the model. Let the city lights, neon signs, wires and lanterns be reflected in it.
- Interesting locations. You can shoot almost anywhere with a little preparation. It could be in the city, studio, outdoors, etc. Locations where clear geometric lines can be traced are perfect. For example, high stairs and fences, futuristic buildings. Contrasting lighting is also appropriate — shop signs, lanterns and building lights.
- Cyberpunk clothing. The most important thing here is to create a holistic image that will help show the individuality and character of the model. The character should be bright and self-sufficient, with its own history.
Use the following details:
- Mirrored glasses with large glasses;
- 3D virtual reality glasses;
- Neon accents on clothes and accessories, such as large bracelets or earrings;
- Leather trousers, jackets and skirts;
- Oversized black hooded sweatshirts;
- Leather belts and studded chokers;
- Chains of wire or metal.
- Pay attention to facial expressions.
- Wide smiles in cyberpunk look out of place.
Cyberpunk Photo Editing
Success and results directly depend on the quality of photo processing. Of course, you need good software. The most common effects, known even to beginners:
- Neon photo editing: The fastest way to achieve this result is with the help of ready-made effects. The stylization of a photo as a frame from a movie will look great.
- Vignetting: A vignette that darkens the edges of a photo is most appropriate in cyberbank-style shots. Thus, it turns out to focus on the model. Vignette will make the photo spectacular and stylish
The cyberpunk genre involves a creative flight of fancy and a complete rejection of stereotypes and standards.