You will end up with something like this one:
1. Click Start button.
2. Type “regedit” there (without quotes) like this screenshot:
3. Right Click over regedit link and select by clicking “Run as Admin..”
4. Accept the security prompt ( if appears). You will get this window:
5. Go to
6. Right Click over it and create a “New Key” :
7. Give it any name, so that you can remember, for example, I have given it “Name“:
8. Now, go to the right sided pane, change value of “Default” to your desired name by right clicking over it and Modifying it which you want to show in Desktop context menu (its very important step). I have chosen ~:: ABHISHEK ::~ in this tutorial.
9. Now right-click on the new key e.g; “Name” and select “New -> Key“. Give the new key name of command.Advertisement
10. Right click on the default value to modify it:
11. I have used explorer.exe in this example to open Library after clicking my name in context menu. But you can use any other command key as you like.
12. If you end here, the thing will look like this screenshot, but fully functional:
13. For obvious reason, you will want two more things, (1) to change its position and (2) Add an icon to it.
14. For changing the position right click on the right sided pane and create a string value named “position” :
15. You can modify now the data of the string value to “top” or “bottom”
16. Similarly, create another string value, named “icon“. You have to enter the data for the icon string too. If you set it to explorer.exe,13 , it will give the users icon. You can play with the numbers starting from 0 after the comma, each number will give unique icon as compiled under explorer.exe. I have done it in 64 bit version, in 32 bit, the number may be different.
So, the Finished reg value should look like this:
Now, Right click over the desktop:
Hope you enjoyed it!