Depending on the sites and their problems, it is often necessary to advocate making the footers SEO-friendly.
The advantage of a big footer is that you can easily add to an existing site. By cons, it is not enough to say to the designer or developer “Create a nice big footer for me”. It needs to clarify what you want to see appear.
Here are some things to optimize this famous footer:
- Integrate graphically: Do not parachute in the bottom of your site. Do you have no shame! The footer should also be made ?readable ?to the visitor and not only for the search engine.
- Do not hide your footer via any of the content masking techniques (the hidden content is wrong)
- The footer can be different on each page (or partially different). The organization of the content is quite effective.
- The footer theoretically, should be the largest of the page that has the most popular content (most often the home page)
- Ideally, the footer will contain text and links, i.e. links within text
- If the footer contains only links in a list / column, arrange them by topic
- Your link columns need not be at the bottom of your site. If you add text below, Google may feel that your columns are part of your content
- Make your links to the most important pages of your site (product families, products star, landing page etc) or to those you want to highlight
- Do not keep too many links. There is really no limit but it is better not abuse it. The number of links is to test / set based on the popularity of the page. See the screenshots of Microsoft and Apple’s homepage. They are simplistic, yet informative.
- Ties with corporates can / should be placed below because they are not interesting pages for SEO
Add your phone number and mailing address. We read somewhere that Google would find this kind of info in a footer.
It involves using the absolute property in CSS footer to put the other end of that page in the code. You need a classic footer, then the other footer will be higher in the code.
It is necessary that this area sends a signal that does not look like a footer, so that it wraps enough the text links. If the not the footer looks like a block of content, it will be better valued.
CAUTION: The footer is still handled with care.