Cloud Computing Free Model allows the end users to use or test premium software and services with some limitations. It is a business model to combine free software approach by premium brands. Freemium model is nothing new it is quite old. However, the way the Software as a Service running on Cloud Computing infrastructure runs, makes the implementation of Freemium Model most practical.
What is Cloud Computing Freemium Model
Freemium is a business model that works by offering a product or service free of charge (like software, web services etc) while charging a premium for advanced features and functionality. (reference)
Various Free Cloud Computing related offers already we have published in this blog – like free online Cloud Storage with limitations is a perfect example of Cloud Computing Free Model.
What is the advantage of Cloud Computing Freemium Model versus the traditional way
Traditionally, the software or the content had to be downloaded by the End user. As the software is being installed on his / her computer by the End User, often some keygen are being used to unlock them.
As in case of most Cloud Computing based applications – that is SaaS, the real software is on the provider’s server and protected efficiently from being misused by using various technologies, a trial is fully trial in when offered through Cloud Computing infrastructure.
Current approaches of Freemium model in Cloud Computing :
- Full access and usage for a limited period, often the user needs to verify the Credit card. Rackspace Cloud and Amazon ECS can be the examples of Freemium model in Cloud Computing.
- Limited by the Capacity or the Features – Think of Free Cloud Storage and Free Apps offered by Google.
- Pay as you go in various cloud computing services is not really a Freemium model, but significantly reduces the cost.
Conclusion on Cloud Computing Free Model
- Cloud Computing, itself has given various flexible opportunities to offer various software and services for free of cost.
- Unlike traditional way, Freemium model can be effectively controlled on the Cloud Computing infrastructure by the providers.
- Cloud Computing platform is suitable for pay as you go model – which is itself very convenient for the users.
- Indirectly, Cloud Computing Freemium Model can stop Software piracy – no one will use a pirated Microsoft office as Google Docs is available for free.
Follow the Author of this article :