Virtualization Softwares (VmWare Fusion,Parallel’s Desktop) vs Wine for Windows App on OS X – Quite Practical Question, No? Specially when Wine has Paid Softwares too. It is quite natural to ask, which is better or rather painless yet cost saving option. Obviously, the core method differs fully – yet the target usage remains the same. An average user, unlikely need to know whether the software in question uses a processor technology (Virtualization Softwares) or some other way which is not really emulation (Wine based). In our evaluation, Virtualization Softwares are the winners. If you want to read the full story, that is great, but if you wanted a conclusion, that will be our answer.
Virtualization Softwares and Wine Based Softwares : From Cost Point of View
Now, there are paid software like Crossover, which is based on Wine. Wine itself is free, so as many other tools. While Wine is quite successful on Linux due to huge input from the developers, OS X; unfortunately lacks that huge input – both should work in the same way. The basic question is, for which Windows Applications we will need a sort of
MS Windows ?
- Most games now are specially manufactured for Retina displays, except old games; we probably do not need any assistance. There are ported version as well.
- Almost all known softwares has Mac version.
- Rest remains some less known or specially made Windows softwares – they are basically for a special work, for example; keyword research. It is unlikely that few thousands will need a Mac version for these Apps.
The cost for native Wine is zero, Crossover is a bit polished version and paid. However, the issues with Wine is also present on paid software. Crossover is really not capable to run a some-how compiled installer file, various errors can pop up. Here are two ways :
- Either using free or paid Virtualization software and real copy of Windows.
- Installing Windows on Mac (popularly known as using BootCamp) on separate partition
Although Wine can run many applications, you might feel a bottleneck for these some-how compiled installer files – Windows can natively run them, usually they uses Adobe’s some solution to run properly. Overall cost for paid Wine application is still lesser, is not it? But unfortunately Windows is not Open Source, ultimately you will require a copy of Windows.
If you are looking for running Games, probably Wine can work. But it is No for the typical type of Windows Applications we said, it is unlikely that you will never face or need not to use them, ever.
From cost point of view, Wine based, even paid software are the winners; but finding a bug or en error and fixing them might create a huge pain. The pain to some extent reduced by using a real Windows – not fully, because you need to pay for Windows License. Virtualization softwares win on the point of converging two operating system, without the real need of installing Windows via bootcamp.
Can You Draw a Quick Conclusion on Choosing Virtualization Softwares (VmWare Fusion,Parallel’s Desktop) or Wine for Running Windows App?
Virtualization Softwares are the winners, as we have written in the beginning who had less time to read! But wait, that is not really the full customized answer!
- You need to run Windows Programs Frequently and They Are Not Resource Hungry – May be Virtualization Softwares, May be Bootcamp to install Windows. Virtualization Softwares add the convenience, nothing else.
- You need to run Windows Programs Frequently and They Are Resource Hungry – May be Bootcamp to install Windows or a Separate Windows PC (practical thought)
- You have enough Time to Fix and can do Experimentation to Fix issues but has less money (like me!) – Wine. Wine based apps will not suck your processing power much. But they can demand a huge time from you, specially for custom Windows Apps.
- Except quality, basic method has not much difference among a free Virtualization Software with older Microsoft Windows (Windows 2000, for example) – they are quite good bundle for running buggy Apps, temporarily. Windows 2000 is not free but do not have the Genuine Windows disadvantage checking part. That simply means – you can run or use your old PC’s retail copy on your Mac. Forget about the legal part, it is not really practical to pay twice for one user. It is quite common to have an old, fragile, weak PC and a newer Mac. It is quite risky to use Windows without update, at least one Anti Virus. Microsoft Windows, unfortunately demands separate licenses even the host has license and guest is the same OS. Obviously for serious usage, you will use a latest, separate Windows version with “proper” License (practically double payment in case you have two machines and they are used by only you).
Crossover type paid Wine software really sucks, it is better to use the Free alternatives. We do not want you spend your hard earned money on unnecessary stuffs. Making Microsoft or Apple richer is not our target. By the same time, we should use legal copies. Practical options are provided, use the solution which suits you the best.Tagged With paid virtualization software , parallels desktop vs wine , wine vs parallel