Secure Cloud Computing is a Big Chapter. An Average User Need Not to Know All the Terminologies. Here is a Simplified Guide in Plain English. Today, larger documents lie outside of our own computer; we save, restore files or entire folders which might be available to other peoples : a few years ago what was once considered to be a small masterpiece to the technology-loving IT professionals, is now is no more than a basic knowledge for any kind of workers. For this knowledge, one need not no engineering degree.
Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft Skydrive, CloudMe – are only few of all of the providers of Public Cloud Storage; which is beyond the scope of Article. Except for a few differences in the expression of all online storage solutions operate on an identical principle : The user logs in to a system of provider with a username and a secret, may be only the password. With these user data the user can log on to the online service and drop files or folders on the memory system of the provider, edit or delete. By default, no access is possible at first through third parties, and the user accesses via web browser itself to the service.
These part actually belong to Permissions and Identity Management on Cloud Computing Platform. Protection of Sensitive Data in the Cloud is itself another chapter. All of these belongs to, what is said with a difficult terminology – Core Components of Cloud Computing. Practically these are extensions of computer security, network security, information security. We will not discuss elaborately, if the reader wishes; can read the multi-part article named Checklist for Secure Cloud Computing. Again; Secure Cloud Computing is a Big Chapter. Our intention is to mention only the major points within this article, as it targeted for the average user.
Secure Cloud Computing : Basics One Should Know About
Usually, the providers now employ the freemium business model. This means that the basic service is offered as free of charge and beyond a certain limit, such as the need of more space is chargeable. The size of the offered free space available varies depending on the provider, usually is within the range of 2-5 gigabytes. So far, it is so easy to understand. But now the problems start – actually, the bargain with giveaway of Personal Data starts from this point.Advertisement
Apple provides Free Space, but that is to a limited number of identifiable users. That business model of iCloud is not truly a Freemium model – they already know about many personal matters; it is acceptable as we also have some dimension to bargain with Apple – not well understood, right? If the User’s original name, Model number is not known; then claim of warranty will not be valid. The wrong hood of comparison is – Apple is a hardware manufacturer. Their primary business is not to sell software or Cloud based products. If too much security bugs their brand value, simply, they will discontinue that part. Like, Optical Drives are known to face more issue in long term, Apple simply dropped it in favor of smaller Solid State non rotating stuffs. Apple is an example of Brand; one can think of IBM in this position.
Secure Cloud Computing sounds like an unknown phrase to many. Practically it means, the probable security architecture which we can follow for a certain Cloud Service. In simple words, the ways can be :
- Deterrent controls
- Preventative controls
- Corrective controls
- Detective controls
Secure Cloud Computing : A Short Handy Guide
We will tell you few words as a list, which is more than enough to ensure secure cloud computing, provided that your usage of variants of Cloud Computing Services is very limited. They are quite easy to follow and actually derived from the 4 ways mentioned above :
- Read The Fine Print : Everyone knows it is good to read, but none reads. Microsoft and Google are notorious for twisted words, changing policies.
- Always Take Backup Multiple Times and Have a Physical Storage on Your Hand
- Please Note Server Location : Everyone knows, it is quite important now.
- Understand What Protocol is Used to Connect or Upload
- Use Your Own Encryption : For example, simply applying a difficult password to a zip file and uploading any where makes it a bit more difficult to break in to.
- Secure Own Platform : Try to avoid insecure Operating System Platforms. Linux or original UNIX derivatives are known to be safer but abnormal compilation can turn it towards bloated – Android is a good example.
- Know When to Terminate Using the Service
- Understand the Importance of Data : If a 16GB folder with your pet’s videos, images are stolen; possibly the loss is not much; but if a zipped archive of this website is accessible; it will take few minutes to create an illegal clone. It is quite difficult to clean the illegal clones – Law, by default takes the person alleged is under attack.
Despite all the alerts, it is not rare to come across a friend who usually uploads almost the full of his full family album to Facebook.