Previously we talked about DIN slot in Raspberry Pi Car Starter Guide and OBD II. Here is a list of hardwares needed to build Raspberry Pi Car PC System on ordinary old cars & a budget within $200 or so. You can use Orange Pi instead of Raspberry Pi, we talked about the single board computers in a separate article. The old illustration is possibly helpful :
Raspberry Pi Car PC System : List of Needed Hardwares
Apart from the tools we mentioned in the linked posts, What you will need these hardwares :
- Raspberry Pi 2 (minimum)
- DC 12V to DC 5V 2A converter
- 7inch Touchscreen LCD. The board must have HDMI and AV input.
- SI4703 FM radio
- GPS Module (UART or USB)
- WiFi USB dongle
- Audio ampifier board TDA7850 (4X50W 4 Channel)
- USB Sound card with output and Line in / mirophone input
- 2x rotary encoders with SW
- 1x 1A fuse – 1x 2A fuse – 1x 10A fuse
- Female car radio antenna jack
- 7x screw terminal connectors (2 pin)
- Rear parking camera (optional)
The resulting Raspberry Car PC will have 7 inch Touchscreen Monitor with 4 Channel audio amplifier with USB drive support. It will be able to play all video and music files, have GPS with navigation, FM radio, WiFi to connect to the internet, access sites like Youtube and other video/music websites and rear camera support.
This design and thing is invented by “DIY specialist” Andrei Istodorescu, you should read this blog :
Of course there are other “DIY specialists” who invented own systems :
Obviously we will cover detailed how to in near future with enhancements but this much overall idea is needed proceed to collect the “costly”, “exotic” Made in China components at cheapest price from Ebay, Amazon etc.
Follow the Author of this article :