Google AMP is harmful for your branding and customer acquisition. Making the website faster (within a permissible budget) for the mobile devices is a completely different topic from “Google AMP”. Possibly you have heard that from Jun 2021 Google has stopped prioritising Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) format in its Top News carousel. There was one US antitrust complaint against Google, which has shown that the claim “to improve the speed with AMP” was false from the beginning.
The all the new attempts by Google is for increasing ad revenue. Google’s ad revenue is not falling sharply but the growth is not satisfactory. This is because of the diversification of advertisements. Today, the number of blogs has significantly increased, there are enough social networks. With the increasing penetration of mobile devices and a faster internet connection, the way people search for information is changing. Google’s main tool of trade still today is Google search. Various studies have shown that a good number of advanced users prefer Bing. AMP was launched in October 2015. Content marketing was nascent at that time. But Google had a fair idea about the future.
It does not mean that Google is dead. Unlike Google+, Picasa, or any other services closed by Google, it will take a significant time for Google to close. Companies like AOL, IBM do not get closed by their direct customer interaction get decreased. So, Google is remaining at least as a search engine. And Google AMP probably will be continued for some years till Google close the service.
Why You Should Avoid Google AMP
- Instead of redirecting users to an optimized version hosted on your server, Google serves a snapshot of the page from their cache. This means your server donates the traffic towards Google’s server.
- Google still inject a toolbar at the top to encourage the users to get back to Google search results. This means your original site face more difficulty in gaining a customer. In this way, Google is using your content to entertain the readers.
- There is no new technology in Google AMP. You can also create a mobile version of your website that loads quite fast from CDN.
- It is difficult to get rid off Google AMP once you have opted for it.
- Too many peoples are complaining of a fall in mobile traffic and ad revenue.
- You should always offer the visitor the chance to contact you.
- I have heard that AMP even strip off the hyperlinks.
- AMP kills your web design and branding
These are good resources to read :
Definitely, within your allotted budget, you should try to make your website faster. But do not make Google your boss. Today, attracting traffic via different search engines and social networks became easy than it was in 2010.Tagged With why is google amp bad