WordPress Update Errors are quite common and can be pathetic episode for even an experienced webmaster. Here is how to upgrade WordPress without problems. If you are over smart and thinking that WordPress Update Errors happens only with newbies, you are quite wrong, for many good developers, WordPress Update once or twice in usage life gives these WordPress Update Errors mainly due to a bit carelessness. In this article cum guide we will discuss the possible WordPress Update Errors, Give specific solution to those WordPress Update Errors and Most importantly we will show you the way how to Upgrade WordPress without any WordPress Update Errors.
What WordPress Update Errors can Happen with you : Sign Symptoms
WordPress users are quite careless about the important notice in a box for Automatic Updates. As soon the yellow colored band on top with the message like “WordPress 3.x is available! Please update now.” arrive most users carelessly clicks it, again clicks the almost call to action like blue button in the next page “Update now”. It is probably more attracting to the users than the yellow box that says : “Important: before updating, please back up your database and files. For help with updates, visit the Updating WordPress Codex page.”
There are major and minor updates. Take that, the major updates might give you a bit pain if you are careless enough to directly hit that “Update now” button. In other words, major updates are more likely to throw WordPress Update Errors, but it never means, minor update needs less importance or can never throw any WordPress Update Errors.
List of probable WordPress Update Errors while using Automatic Update feature
- Database Upgrade Required related WordPress Update Errors : The most common reason for this error is presence of an active database cache plugin. If you are using any Cache plugin which caches the database or a pure separate database cache plugin these kind of WordPress Update Errors will show up :
If you see the PHP error log, most probably you will find MySQL Gone Away Error or something like that. Base on these error log its not possible to solve these kind of WordPress Update Errors. The best solution to solve this situation is :
- Add a dot or rename the whole ./wp-content/plugins folder
- Find db.php like named php files, most usually are inside wp-content folder, add a dot to rename them.
- Add a dot before the name or rename the whole ./wp-content/upgrade folder (optional)
- Try to check on browser whether your website is loading or not. It should not load with these kind of WordPress Update Errors.
- Download the version of WordPress (from WordPress.org) you used before this WordPress Update Errors came and unzip it on desktop. Delete its wp-content folder and sample wp-config.php file. Replace all the files of this folder from FTP to your error showing website.
- You should be able to login now.
- Now again rename all those folders and files you have renamed or added dot.
- No WordPress Update Errors will show now, your nice website is on neutral gear now.
The reason why these WordPress Update Errors arises is easy to explain. The database cache creates a conflict.
- All other WordPress Update Errors : All other WordPress Update Errors are due to incompatible plugins, poor webhost or server with antique version of PHPMyAdmin or PHP, erroneous configuration of php.ini file. Usually these WordPress Update Errors happens with those cPanel Hosting and poor Plugin codings.
Fool Proof way to prevent WordPress Update Errors
If already WordPress Update Errors are prominent :
- Keep your head cool at any situation you face where you are getting WordPress Update Errors.
- Your target to fix any WordPress Update Errors is to revert back to older version which worked for you, instead of fighting with the new version throwing any WordPress Update Errors. The reason is – (i) That version worked for you (ii) As that version is older, people has probably written more troubleshooting than the newest.
- If you have no backup after the WordPress Update Errors became apparent, still take the backup.
- If nothing works, the last option is to manually re-install WordPress.
- If these WordPress Update Errors is outside what your knowledge can do, hire a professional.
If you plan to avoid WordPress Update Errors in future :
- Take the full backup of MySQL to restore your website in any bad condition arisen from any WordPress Update Errors.
- Disable all plugins, particularly the cache plugins to avoid WordPress Update Errors.
- Check your .htaccess file for any added restriction to avoid WordPress Update Errors.
- Check whether WordPress has the full Admin privilege on MySQL.
- Check the requisites of the new version of WordPress and match with your server’s position. Sometimes limited PHP limit set at php.ini files creates some WordPress Update Errors.
- You can update WordPress either automatically or manually. If you follow the above steps, its unlikely that you will face any WordPress Update Errors with Automatic Update.
Follow the Author of this article :