To have a faster WordPress get a faster database – clearly know the bottleneck of WordPress is MySQL Database and badly coded plugins and Themes. It is very important to understand the widely spread misinformations around WordPress. From our observations, we pointed out few things which might help you a lot.
To Have a Faster WordPress Get a Faster Database : Too Much Caching Means Inviting Issues
To have a faster WordPress get a faster database not a database cache plugin, because WordPress is written with dynamic PHP. If you have a faster database, with minimal caching you will get the best result. To really make static pages, covert Posts, Pages to HTML – individually. When the content is HTML, it becomes easy to Edit. You are thinking that creating HTML page is difficult? Its very easy, suppose your Webpage is :
With any browser, you can get the source code (i.e. HTML output). If you save it as index.php or index.html inside the named folder, i.e. ./my-post/ in this example, normally if cache plugin is not active, this one will be served. To create a PHP version, you need to add PHP opening and closing Tag. If you have not understood the thing, you are free to ask via comments for details. You can obviously create a tar.gz format of the html page in the same folder. This is what your WordPress plugin does – but unfortunately it deletes all the HTML pages every-time the cache is flushed.
More you will cache more you will burn the compute cycle. Instead, use a separate Database server – you will basically do the same as we do for the preparation of a server like we wrote in Installing Apache2 With PHP5 and MySQL, but you will use FQDN for this server.
To Have a Faster WordPress Get a Faster Database : More Info
Our theme is to have a faster WordPress, so we said – Get a Faster Database. But it is important to :
- Regularly clean the database
- Make the Database smaller by reducing comments table size
- Do not use Recent Posts, Random Posts like Plugins
- Instead of using .htaccess rules, use site™s Apache configuration file for all directives
- Lightly cache database from backend or use hyperdb plugin
- Knowing the latest about PHP, MySQL can improve the performance, like adding ‘FallbackResource /index.php’ instead of RewriteRule makes the WordPress to load faster
- There are lot of badly coded Themes. Use a light and good theme.
- Avoid Tags Taxonomy, use only categories or only Tags
- Use Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- Embedding the CSS (the content of css file) in the page instead of calling the CSS (WordPress) improves usability. There is a phenomenon named Flash of Unstyled Content – hitting the browser back button makes the page to load without the stylesheet. Google uses this method for Bloggers blog to Google Plus to avoid this Flash of Unstyled Content phenomenon.
- Unfortunately, it does not appear that WordPress is interested about changing the database from MySQL. You have to reduce the number of requests indirectly.
For Rackspace unmanaged, two server configuration or database as a service will cost you around $80 USD per month. This is about two 512MB setup. Instead of using one 1GB server, splitting it in to two servers make the things easier.