Seems unrealistic? Does it seem that I am going to write a rocket-science explanation? If your answer to any or both of the questions is yes, then continue reading.
It can use all the features of Windows 7 including the Touch feature.
Use it while standing!
One can get a bigger screen at the same cost of a high-end Smartphone.
There are many people who feel like us. If we had a tablet PC, it would be great for use in day-to-day life. Many of us have to carry our laptop all around to remain involved in online activities. A tablet PC has certain advantages over conventional laptops. It is nearly impossible to hold the laptop while standing and work on it! Either we have to rest it over our lap while sitting down or have to rest it over a firm surface in order to work.
Therefore, we started to do a market research about the price and specifications of them. We came to know the specifications and price is in logarithmic scale. Further we noticed, except few, most of them do not sport the features we expected to have.
Therefore, we started to search the Web to look for ideas to build a tablet PC of our own. As it always happens, we discovered that we were not alone to think such!
1. Universal screwdriver with changeable heads (for bigger screws).
2. Set of Philips screwdriver (those are used for mobile phone repairing).
3. Glue, Scotch tape.
4. Sandpapers, of different grades.
5. Plenty of tissue papers and soft clothes.
6. Pliers, lightweight hammer, electric/hand drill with different sized bits.
7. Better to have a multipurpose-meter to check various parts before we are going to switch it on.
8. A pair of protective gloves 9. Many other instruments those are found in the kitchen.
10. Must have some knowledge about assembling a PC. It is not a rocket science; read various forums, blogs, and tutorials to gain more knowledge. Otherwise, accept the help from a friend who is accustomed to this type of project.
Specific for our project:
You can build a new one from some company that sells assembled kits. You can see Liquidware ; you have to spend around $ 400 to get one (quite yummy to us!). They have projects, wiki etc, to provide you enough resources for the whole process.
If you are more creative, or have some parts from your old desktop or laptop, you may consider the alternate way:
1. First, you need a case, something looking like this:
Cost: Around $5
2. A touch enabled screen that can support the size of the case. Yes, you have to chop out some parts of the crystal cover. We generally use a hand-made heater knife for chopping these types of plastic cases/modules. This is nothing, but a coil is wrapped around the base. Do not try to simulate our way of work, because it often gives us a “mild” electric shock. You can go to your kitchen, find some sharp knife, heat it over the flame and use gently to heat melt it to cut out. This is a better option for most people.Advertisement
3. Touch screen – it depends on your budget. It can be anywhere between $100-300, depending on the make:
After housing it, it should look something like this:
4. Motherboard: You can use HP 2530P Intel SL9300 1.6GHZ (around $183):
There is no restriction to your imagination: you can use any mobile PC motherboard you want!
5. We are not going into further details.Yyou can install Hard Disk Drive, RAM and other optional components, as you™d like:
6. Finally, you will get something like this:
Image courtesy: carbontablet
Total cost: Around $450 -$500