We had doubt, which we wrote earlier whether the leaked version is really Microsoft Windows 8 or a fake compilation. But after many posts from Microsoft Most valuable professionals in their weblogs; namely Ankur Mittal and Vishal Gupta; we are quite sure this is real Windows 8. So, by this time, we can sort some features that was expected previously in Windows 8 and what we are possibly getting.
- Windows 8 will have a fantastic and mind blowing look.
- Windows 8 will have enhanced Aero.
- Windows 8 will have Facial recognition (Sensor Scenario). This was leaked /
- Advanced touch screen features.
- Very fast boot up speed.
- Better identity management.
- Integrated App store.
- New file format replacing NTFS.
What we got in Windows 8 build 7994
- Old wine in new bottle: Windows 8 looks like Windows 7 with basic theme on.
- Aero lite; closer to Basic theme of Windows 7.
- Advanced Task Manager.
- Inbuilt PDF Reader.
- New Disk cleanup tool.
- Hybrid boot.
- Windows 8 pattern logon.
- Windows Explorer ribbon UI.
- Windows Store evidence found in Windows 8.
- Windows 8 Portable Workspace.
- SmartScreen File Checking.
- System reset option.
What we liked
Everything, except the design.
What we did not liked
The default theme looks horrible. It is said this is Aero Lite interface. To make faster, Microsoft chopped out some excellent eye candy features of Windows Vista like DreamScene (we wrote tutorial on how to get back Dreamscene in Windows 7), control of transparency of individual explorer window (Third party tool available) etc.
It is easy to be underwhelmed by the proposed features, especially since most of them are already available from competitors or by using third-party freewares and Windows 8 would not be available until next year. But considering some of them as a whole: instant-on, facial recognition, 3D support and Kinect like gesture support, even without a mad new interface, these could add-up to a radically different experience. It could be the start of something genuinely new, and that is worth paying attention to.