Previously we discussed about the basic topics about Server Virtualization Technology and its usage :
- In Cloud Computing and Virtualization article, we discussed about the Hardware requirements for both Cloud Computing and Virtualization.
- In Free Cooling Methods for Data Centers Running Virtualization article, we discussed about the Free or Indirect Cooling methods for Server Virtualization.
- In Virtualization Monitoring Tools for Server Rooms and Data Centers article, several monitoring softwares were discussed.
- In another article we discussed about the free and premium softwares needed for Server Virtualization.
- Database Virtualization “ Impact and Cost was rather a more serious article.
- Basics of server virtualization was the article where from we started our server virtualization journey and later we discussed about the Major Disadvantages of Server Virtualization Technology.
So, at the end of the list, you can understand why we listed the older topics : we have covered the basic points about Server Virtualization technology and probably this article, Server Virtualization – Additional Benefits is the last basic article about Server Virtualization. We will move to more detailed and in depth articles on Server Virtualization after this very article.
What are the additional benefits of server virtualization?
It is quite obvious from our previous articles that Server Virtualization Technology offers a cost reduction and increased productivity. These are actually the direct benefits. But, there are some additional benefits as well.
Image Courtesy : Dell
Unlike our conventional Servers, the softwares work for server virtualization directly with the physical processor and main memory of the host hardware. Other major hardware components, like video card, network adapter, disk controller and peripherals are also emulated at the same time. So, instead of separate presence of a physical device, a non-existing logical device are provided by this system. In this way, a hardware independence is achieved at lower cost.
Is everything is good about Server Virtualization?
Definitely not. That is why we wrote a separate article on Major Disadvantages of Server Virtualization Technology. Apart from the points mentioned in that dedicated article, other problem is, the users of guest Operating System actually can not opt in for a special hardware : for exapmle a choice of Intel Processor over AMD or a specific Graphics card selection is not possible in the settings of Server Virtualization Technology.
Follow the Author of this article :