Transparent SATA HDD Casing is an extreme Mod. You be creative and do in the way you like with and Internal HDD and Kit for making it external USB storage. Setting Up Disk Enclosure or Casings with Internal SATA HDD was written before as a guide. On that guide we made the basic setup, now we can easily go to further mod.
Transparent SATA HDD Casing : Needed equipments
In DIY guide to build your own Windows 7 powered Tablet PC in under $500, we had to use few basic equipments and tools, the basic idea is creativity with some technical knowledge.
- Universal screwdriver with changeable heads (for bigger screws).
- Set of Phillips screwdriver (those are used for mobile phone repairing)
- Plenty of tissue papers and soft clothes.
- Pliers, lightweight hammer, electric/hand drill with different sized bits.
- Better to have a multipurpose-meter to check various parts before we are going to switch it on.
- A pair of protective gloves
- Many other instruments those are found in the kitchen.
- Must have some knowledge about DIY projects, otherwise, accept the help from a friend who is accustomed to this type of project.
Specific for our Transparent SATA HDD Casing project:
We will not buy a full housing for converting the Desktop Internal SATA hard drive to a jazzy one – buy only the kit for so (search in ebay), they are less costly and lacks the box housing. Its must for the kit to have ports for adding fan. You can search for glass or other casing for hard disk enclosure but it will be better to make yourself from glass sheets.Advertisement
Steps for Transparent SATA HDD Casing setup
This is a kind of Transparent SATA HDD Casing with all we will get at the end :
This is from Uber Gizmo, but probably they have created it.
First, we need to cut the power converter’s black box and we will place it inside the housing. The blue print will be like this :
The round places are marked for Vent. You must place good cooling inside Transparent SATA HDD Casing mod. Glass is easy to get in size because commercially you can make them of proper size, make the edge prepared and do the drilling just for few bucks at any glass cutting shop. Moreover the glass will take etching. You can easily use etching with logo, professionally.
Silicon sheet has the advantage of drilling unplanned holes but glass will not turn older looking or loss the finishing with time. As we are putting the power converter box inside our Transparent SATA HDD Casing, there will be only one power cord to power it up. You can modify the switch but in that case, for proper fitting inside your Transparent SATA HDD Casing, you need to create a PCB yourself.