Advantages of Heroku Over OpenShift Cloud PaaS are apparent who needs a large number of projects with less usage.Here is a kind of discussion on the advantages. The reason for kind of abnormal (for us) article is a question that is asked by a visitor via comments – What are the advantages of Heroku over OpenShift that can help me to take the decision either to stick on Heroku or OpenShift.
Advantages of Heroku Over OpenShift Cloud PaaS : This is not a promotive article
The main theme of this named article Advantages of Heroku Over OpenShift Cloud PaaS is not being a promotive article for Heroku Cloud. We probably like OpenShift more, if not AppFog. We basically wrote a more kind of comparative article – Which PaaS is Better Option – Heroku or AppFog or OpenShift. Cost of Heroku is more, chance of downtime of Heroku historically more, there is practically no way other than to use the command line tool to deploy an application. Heroku is practically targeted for the core users or developers, it has no way for a brand new user to use on fly from web control panel. Actually, the segment of AppFog or OpenShift is a bit different – these are Application Platform as a Service (aPaaS) whereas Heroku is purely Platform as a Service. At the time of writing the article on aPaaS, OpenShift was not known widely known among the mass users, at least to the degree right now. OpenShift is present since May 2011, I can not recall the year of introduction of PHPFog but Heroku is definitely the oldest – it is present since June 2007.
Rackspace Cloud Sites never says that it is actually a managed aPaaS without any practical support with command line. Their marketing is straightforwardly for the users who can pay $150 per month. At paid level, however Rackspace Cloud Sites is possible a better option than OpenShift for the support, specifically for WordPress-Joomla!-Drupal-Magento kind of PHP MySQL based web applications. It is a better option for one who is in real business of domain flipping. Support and uptime is really good. The topic came because we were talking about aPaaS.
Advantages of Heroku Over OpenShift Cloud PaaS
Heroku has the advantages as written below :
- Good for who are sound in UNIX commands and has good grasp of using make command to modify the app instance.
- Good for those who want to create good number of test projects, possibly no visitor will ever visit them. OpenShift has the limit on three. We are talking about the free quota.
- If you create the application via Facebook as Facebook App, the SSL is free. Although the HTTPS URL works for OpenShift and in Jenkins Build it is actually full in action.
- RabbitMQ and Memcached are available to Heroku.
- Wider hacks, tutorials, repo are available from unofficial websites because of being a longer duration market player, official guides are also probably better.
- Heroku has better command line tool (Toolbelt), possibly its important and easy for the Windows users.
Heroku actually is better for us – as we create various guides we often need to keep the example application on, in OpenShift we need to delete one from the three. We are obviously talking about the free quota / plans. OpenShift is easy to use even by us – its a common everyday work of us to update some apps everyday via git push, its painful to work with Heroku as it needs a bit more time. PHP Zlib is not present in Heroku for example and not all apps are actually customized in that way to activate the function like we wrote before. Ultimately for updating an App, we have to do a versioning, which actually sucks some bandwidth too.
advantage and disadvantage heroku , Advantage of OpenShift tool