Building Your Own Data Center can be very cheap or highly costly, it depends on your specific need, security and load. Most get confused with similar words. Most smaller versions are actually server rooms. Data Center is quite big concept as by definition a Data Center is least dependent on third party resources. Building Your Own Data Center can be as least costly closer to 100K USD to few Millions USD. Many bigger companies went bankrupted for some own Data Center ! So before thinking for building your own data center, you can think of colocation as an valid option or just a Server Room. If you are not for building your own data center, still this is an interesting article as I am broadcasting my own experience.
Building Your Own Data Center : Good Reads For The Idea of The Cost
The thing is, these are the components for building a building your own data center :
- The physical location : Obviously a Data Center needs a quite big area with own private and public asphalt ways. Asphalt is for protecting the path to bring the heavy weighed things, to allow easy entrance and escape in accidental situations.
- The Main Building : Vertical extensions are not recommended nowadays as the cost of heavy duty elevator, electricity etc. adds more running cost. Most keeps within 3 – 4 floor spaces with corner-less design. Upper and lowest are usually for paper works, security, communication, storage of devices etc.
- Data Center Cooling and Server Cooling : It is self a separate unit. Cooling is a big part of a Data Center. To avoid natural heat, servers at uppermost floor is avoided or the roofing is triple layered for reflection of sunlight. You might be thinking of cold places to get rid of cooling issue – but the cost of transport usually becomes a huge.
- Data Center and Choice of Storage : Storage is a part of server as well as isolated part.
- Servers : Rack Server and 19 inch Rack, Blade Server etc. are used nowadays.
- Own ISP : Usually a separate building is used for Intranet as well as Extranet for the whole building.
- Security, management etc. : These are the running costs; otherwise thieves will lift away the servers !
- Electricity : For most high GDP countries, there is regulation of where a Data center can be build as it requires a separate sub grid system. The supply is of industry’s standard; i.e. 440 volts or more; the Data Centers Step Down it in open air isolated place (as it often catches fire due to over heating when placed in congested place).
Now, you have understood that the required infrastructure is so big that, people usually never considers about a small data center except own special need like us but a bigger one to rent the racks for colocation by third parties. Data Center Tourism is becoming a way of thought to get additional income. Now imagine how many professionals will be needed for the civil, electrical, mechanical engineering. That is why there are separate companies to plan and build data center, just like the brands who builds roads.
Image : This is ORD1 of The Rackspace Cloud. In various video tutorial you have seen to select the region as ord1, this is the place.
Building Your Own Data Center : For the Serious Investors
Image : Headquarter of Rackspace, San Antonio. You are reading web page as this building is existing ! Copyright is of the Racker who took the Photo.
Some people will obviously read this article on Building Your Own Data Center seriously for own setup.For them, articles like Software Defined Datacenter and VMware vFabric, Cloud Computing and Datacenter etc. articles. One thing is, try to refrain to tell with a megaphone that you are Building Your Own Data Center on a place, except those who legally or for requirement needs to know. Otherwise, a normal thing becomes very costly as it is “For a Data Center”. Rackspace has 9 Data Center only on San Antonio. From the image above you can try to imagine the management part, man management is the biggest part of Building Your Own Data Center.
Tagged With build your own data center