A basic theory about the higher end Macs like MacPro, MacBook Pro etceteras is nothing but to consider it as your attention grabbing girlfriend. Apple uses the highest possible materials, now some glues are also used, but they are far better glue than HP uses. Some amusement before going through it.
HP-Compaq uses cellotape inside. At least my one had such! One person in Google person supported hugely the usage of Cellotape inside a Laptop. Honestly, how funny human nature can be – is it acceptable to have a cellotape inside a $500 Laptop ? If it was DIY project of $200, then it was great. Plus, when you are buying something, there are lot of Laws to protect the consumer for such fraud cheaper solution. One Enterprise grade manufacturer must pass some set standards to sell something with lot of badges, Taxes. Cellotape unfortunately do not fall in that category to be used in most of the contries. But, practically its difficult to prove that HP used the Cellotape (all Laptop manufacturers usually uses cellotape with no branding, teared like as if a moron has teared the end, there are reasons behind, keep reading on) it was not added by you for harming their ‘clean’ corporate identity. This is why the cellotapes are usually unbranded, added like as a DIY method. At anytime, they can claim the warranty is void if, they understands you have opened it somehow. The cellotape is acting as fixing bridge both for legal and computer hardware. Our Advocate gave this excellent explanation. Usage of Industry’s standard Gum is legal. You will never find a cellotape inside cell phones, there are other ways of fixing. You might be clever, intelligent; but a company has a collaborative business intelligence. Actually Cellotape is more costly than using their own ribbons – the cost of glue allover the surface, which is not needed will be deducted for bulk order. This is how money is made and kept safe.
Back to Apple’s fruitless drooping. MacBook Pro SuperDrive Keeps Ejecting CD/DVD Discs is a kind of variation of Macbook Pro Trackpad Erratic Cursor Dance (Video Version, text version of Macbook Pro Trackpad Erratic Cursor Dance is here). It is important to understand the fact about this website, we are writing a solution to MacBook Pro SuperDrive Keeps Ejecting CD/DVD Discs means we have already faced and fixed it. It is not a copywriter of CNET with a fake profile is writing, its a human like you is writing. Never read anything, any fix except from the official forums / discussions and individual blogs. It is not unusual that a person is writing on CNET, About.com like website for MacBook Pro SuperDrive Keeps Ejecting CD/DVD Discs Fix just to grab a huge traffic has never used a MacBook Pro. Accept it. This is unfortunately how the World runs.
MacBook Pro SuperDrive Keeps Ejecting CD/DVD Discs Fix : Understand Why it Happens
In case of Non-Retina MacBook Pro, there is Superdrive. In case of Retina, there is no Superdrive. iMac has Superdrive but the quality inside may be not of expected level. That is why I started this writing mentioning “higher end Macs” – Quality Control by Third Party OEM differs by pricing. The orders are placed in that way. Its difficult to say that you’ll be very happy after opening iMac yourself ! But, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro at least has something inside, although glue is increasing day by day. That also explains the different cost Apple Care coverage. It is a fools work not to be covered. 3 Year is practically the maximum durability of the hardware manufactured now by the Third Party OEM suppliers with extensive usage. One free replacement is more than enough to get back the money. When you’ll reach near 3 years, vigorously check what is not working – immediately complain for any issue. You need to be clever in this World of Ripping Trade. What I want to say, if your MacBook Pro is under the cover of Apple Care Protection Plan, find more issues and complain. Apart from probable Superdrive only replacement, you might get the whole MBP’s inside fully cleaned. If you complain “Fans are creating harsh sound at full speed”, they will clean the Fans. You were probably thinking to do a request !
Mostly this issue of Ejecting CD/DVD Discs happens for dust accumulation or Hardware Failure. Hardware Failure due to improper function of Laser reading system is rather rare and not possible to detect. Slots are like…I mean change the letter to understand the meaning. Slot loading Optical Drives are worse, indeed all Laptop Optical drives are universally bad, sometimes it is an issue of Firmware. Windows PC laptops has a issue with Hitachi manufactured Optical Drives. The reason to write so much is for the reason – we never understand that our money is being ripped off by the others. I might rip you at one point, you might rip me at another point. The story is dusty – survival of the fittest. So, get a replacement if your MBP has replacement. You need not to read it.
It is dust that accumulates over the Lens of the drive. It is a small Lens, mounted on a very fragile arm like thing with a Servo motor controlling the movement. There is another motor which spins the disc. Its facing towards the reading surface – so its looking upwards – towards your God, whatever the name is. But Newton said – Apple will always fall to ground ! So, dust falls on Apple’s Lens with time. Apple tries to hide it in two ways :
- By adding a Pad like thing in-front
- By saying an odd thing – Optical Drives are not used now, so Retina will not have Superdrive
MacBook Pro SuperDrive Keeps Ejecting CD/DVD Discs Fix : Understand Why it Happens
Apple definitely knows the Gravity part and interaction with dust. But who is going to explain to an Employee that dear, our idea was basically wrong and against the Nature. Apple Do Not Understand Gravity itself is a big De-branding !
So, you will see that, people are saying – “I made my MBP upside down and it got fixed”. True! Newton Pulled Apple’s Dust by Means of Gravity. But, not in all cases this will fix. So, if you have crossed the line of Warranty, then you might do these depending upon your skill, it is obvious that if you want to fix your girlfriend’s broken rib like me, you will end up with a manslaughter !
- Make the MBP / Superdrive upside down and gently pat over the place. Think its your girlfriend’s cheek while you will pat it…check if Newton did the work
- Second is unofficial but taken as official method – inserting a business card or a credit card with a cleaning cloth to clean the lens. It demands experience with playing with an old optical drive. Get a non functional optical drive from neighborhood for free to understand the required force which can damage it. Yes, the success rate depends on idea of where the Lens will be. Its better to use a solution instead of dry wiping with the cloth.
- Third is to use the cleaning CDs. They will be rejected first, but after few tries, for lesser dust; it will work fine.
- Buying an internal new drive. It really not very costly versus Apple’s export quality fruit slices….
Some points will save your time :
- There is usually no software issue. Resetting with odd key combination can not fix it.
- There is no fool in this World who has only one DVD with lot of scratches to test with. Rejection of DVDs, CDs means either the Lens is not working or the Disc is bad. Your girlfriend is frowning never means she is frowning at you, may be she is thinking something.
- Failure of Hardware means – well, most of you have never seen an optical drive to fail. The thing will go inside, may be shown as mounted or not mounted but it will not work for reading the data. In this rejection case, it is actually reading, it is doing the protective mechanism – thinking the disk is dusty or bad.
- It was good if there was a wiper inside to clean…well, you can not claim copyright of this idea anymore ! I wrote it before you !
- Do not blow compressed air inside. It will work…but I think the dust can go towards the servo motor. Plus getting a dry compressed air needs a big machine like an electricity generator, dentists uses them…all canned air has some finer oil particles, the percentage might or might not be written !
- Ok, that trick to press option key while booting and putting the disk inside as if an acid test to test Hardware failure – well, computer hardware is a very big topic. Those methods only works with less dusts. Because during the boot, the reading speed will be slower, careful….its the firmware that determines it. Real failure will never pass the hardware test. The kernel loads during the process. Otherwise how that icons will show up?
- Yes, despite you know its great, but issue is with dust, it can happen that the drive never work even after cleaning. The reason is possible chemical changes making the lens opaque.